Acetic Acid Uses, Specifications and More Info
Acetic acid, also known by the common name ethanoic acid, has a molecular formula of CH3COOH. It is a weak monoprotic acid that is able to lose a proton from its acid functional group (-COOH) readily and produce a conjugate base, acetate anion. Acetic acid is also a polar protic solvent as it dissolves readily and is miscible in other polar solvents such as water. However, its polar nature makes it insoluble and immiscible in non-polar solvents such as octane. Using acetic acid as a starting reagent, it readily forms other organic reagents such as acetyl chloride and ethanol through substitution and reduction reactions respectively. While glacial acetic acid is the undiluted form of acetic acid.
Acetic acid is sometimes associated with vinegar since the main component of vinegar is acetic acid which is mainly used as a flavoring for culinary purposes. As the second simplest carboxylic acid derivative after formic acid, acetic acid has a wide range of applications for both industrial and household purposes. Not only well-known to be associated with vinegar but also acetic acid is critical to be used both as a raw material and common organic solvents used in polymer and other industries which mostly take advantage of acetic acid as a polar protic solvent. Tradeasia International as a global supplier of acetic acid provides you with acetic acid for your market solution. Get acetic acid in different grades, quantities, and packaging right now.
- Liquefaction : In liquid phase, the methanol and carbon monoxide are reacted in the presence of homogeneous catalyst such as rhodium or iridium at 150-200°C temperature and 30-50 bar pressure
- Vaporization : Vaporisation is conducted to separate the acetic acid product, homogeneous catalyst, and the byproducts generated from the reaction, thus acetic acid will have higher purity
Acetic Acid Industrial Uses
- Plastic and Polymer Acetic acid is a feedstock of vinyl acetate monomer in the polymer industry, which vinyl acetate monomer is further polymerized to polyvinyl acetate or other polymer related to the adhesives. As for the notable role of acetic acid as a solvent, acetic acid is used as a solvent in terephthalic acid manufacturing.
- Pharmaceutical The pharmaceutical industry used acetic acid as an excipient to acidify or preserve several involved ingredients in drug manufacturing.
- Food and Beverage Having an E number from European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), acetic acid is classified as a preservative, particularly as an acidity regulator in the food industry with an E number of E260. Acetic acid also is a feedstock of vinegar. Other glacial acetic acid uses are as an antimicrobial and additive.
- Textile Industry Acetic acid uses in the textile industry is widely in the processing and printing part of production.
|Acetic Acid||wt. %||min. 99.85|
|Freezing Point||°C||min. 16.35|
|Water||wt. %||max. 0.15|
|Distillation Range||°C||max. 1|
|Formic Acid||wt. %||max. 0.05|
|Aldehydes as Acetaldehyde||wt. %||max. 0.05|
|Heavy Metals, as Pb||ppm||max. 0.5|
|Sulfurous Acid||ppm||max. 1|
|Permanganate Time||hours||min. 2|
|Download Acetic Acid MSDS||Download Acetic Acid TDS|